One thing is certain to be true about life – it’s always changing.
The river of life never stops flowing. Where we are now is only temporary, and we will be soon be further down stream.
Moment to moment, our emotions, thoughts, and physical location changes.
Day to day, we build our habits and evolve our relationships with those around us.
Year to year, we see changes in our jobs, finances, and physical health. Big changes that are often from cumulative small changes overtime.
When it comes to life’s changes, you have two options:
- You can accept and embrace change in your life.
- You can fight against change and try to keep things the same.
The default option for us is often to resist change. We find comfort in what we have now. We have a desire to hold on to our attachments, both physical and emotional.
Benefits of Accepting Change
The more we learn to accept and embrace change, the more simply and effectively we can live our lives.
- Appreciation – By understanding that nothing will last forever, you can better appreciate what you have now, or had in the past.
- Fear Reduction – As many of our fears are related to the unknowns in our life, accepting that change will happen makes unknowns less intimidating.
- Contentment – You’ll desire less through having less attachments. Owning things, or desiring certain outcomes, becomes irrelevant in a world that’s constantly evolving.
- Short/Long Term Thinking – When you embrace change, you’re able to build a short and long term perspective. You can see your problems as temporary, and your possible opportunities as long term.