Who you are today is largely a result of the habits and decisions that you have made in the past.
To better ourselves and others, we need to always consider what is downstream in the river of life.
Here are 8 ways you can make a better life for your future self.
- Treat Your Body Well – Your most important asset is your body. Treat your body like it’s the only body you have. Eat good food and maintain strength through exercise.
- Control Your Money – Getting in control of your money means getting in control of your life’s energy. You can buy yourself future opportunity and freedom by continually saving money and investing. Be sure to budget and avoid debt.
- Find Balance – You can find balance between your work, your family, your friends, and your goals. That balance comes from intentionally deciding what’s important to you, then prioritizing your actions.
- Foster Relationships – We humans need to have healthy relationships to be happy. As we get older, it can become more difficult to keep up with friends and family. Develop strong relationships with the habit of doing more for others.
- Buy Less Stuff – Don’t buy shit you don’t need! Let your future self enjoy a world with more money and less stuff. Don’t always buy the latest and greatest, and embrace a more minimalist approach to life.
- Worry Less Often – You’d probably laugh to think back at the things you were worrying about 1 year ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago… With time, we realize that many of our worries are unfounded.
- Do The Work – The easy option is to put off the hard work. Say it doesn’t matter, or that it’s not possible. But where does that get you? Do the hard work now so that you can build a better future.
- Be Present – How does being present benefit your future self? Building the habit of mindfulness and living in the present will allow you to enjoy life now, as well as into the future. Learning to be present is how you actually get to enjoy the life you build for yourself.