Being mindful allows us to bring our attention, both mentally and physically, to the present moment.
By cultivating a more mindful approach to our lives, we are able to better understand our thoughts, harness our emotions, and appreciate every moment.
Not surprisingly, this has proven benefits:
- Reduces Anxiety
- Reduces Stress
- Improves Focus
- Improves Relationships
- Improves Self-Esteem
Becoming more mindful does not require some sort of voodoo magic to enter a mystical state. Instead, it’s just an awareness of the moment that you are living.
It’s simply being present.
Physically, it’s being aware of the rhythm of your breathing. The feeling of your weight on the chair or ground. The sounds that are around you.
Mentally, it’s being able to notice your thoughts. Describing them as you see them: “I’m thinking about this”. Noting how you feel in the moment, and understanding they are just thoughts, they are not you.
A place of mindfulness is where you can develop an inner peace and confidence.
Below are 7 ways you can build more mindfulness into your day.
- Focus on your Breath – Using your breath as a focal point is a simple way to connect your mind and body. Try counting your breaths up to 10, and notice how your body and mind work together.
- Do One Thing At a Time – Practice truly focusing on one thing at a time. For instance, think about how you are reading this blog post, and how you see the black text on the white screen. Consider how you are responding to these thoughts on mindfulness.
- Journal Your Thoughts – Developing a daily/weekly/monthly journal habit is a great way to build a habit of examining your own thoughts. It forces you to take them out of your head, and place them externally.
- Disconnect From Digital Devices – Using our cellphones, computers and TVs make it nearly impossible to be mindful. Try disconnecting for extended periods of time and notice how much more you find yourself being aware of the present moment.
- Practice Meditation – Creating a meditation habit is a great way to get serious about mindfulness. Using an app like Headspace or Calm can teach you various techniques on how to build mindfulness through meditation.
- Go For A Walk/Run – The rhythmic nature of walking or running allows our minds and bodies to become in sync. The labor of our breathing and our feet striking the ground, can help create mindful moments.
- Practice Active Listening – When you are talking to people, try focusing directly on them and nothing else. Listen for details. Notice their emotions. Be actively engaged in the discussion.
Leave a Reply